Kilmacanogue History Society
logo kilmacanogue
Home
Program
About Us
Past Meetings
History
Local Lore
Postbox
Photos
Contact

old church
A Short History of Kilmacanogue Village

The name Kilmacanogue derives from the ancient Irish name Cill Mochonoc, meaning the church of Mochonoc, who was an early Irish saint with strong associations with Glendalough in the heart of the Wicklow mountains. The old graveyard in the village is the original site of this early church, and is likely to have been founded in the 6th or 7th century. Today there are no obvious traces of the early history of the church. However, in the graveyard are the ivy covered ruins of a stone church that probably dates back to the 12th century, and was modified slightly during the 13th century after the coming of the Normans to this area. The church ruins consists of a small nave and chancel church, with the remains of a chancel arch still surviving intact. The original east window that would have lit the altar in the chancel also survives, but is quite badly defaced. The door has long collapsed, but was briefly described by Eugene Curry who visited the site in 1838. He found the door to consist of a pointed arched doorway with draw bar hole for locking the door. He also described a little belfry on the middle gable of the church - today there is no trace of either the door or the belfry. The church was still in use as late as 1630 when it was described as in need of repair, but that it was equipped with a Book of Common Prayer and a font.

  ©Kilmacanogue History Society